My Mary Kay website is now up! I offer free shipping on my website with purchases over $25, so check it out at www.marykay.com/hayleycarter
You can contact me for consultations and parties there as well, so I hope you enjoy!
Fun Story: My director kept telling me and my tenor sax buddy to play softer. No matter what we did, it wasn’t soft enough for him. So getting frustrated, I told my buddy “Dont play this time. Just fake it”
Our Band Director then informed us we sounded perfect.
To my readers: “p” means quiet, “pp” means really quiet. I’ve never seen “pppp” before haha.
On the contrast, “f” means loud, and “ffff” probably means so loud you go unconscious.
I had ffff in a piece once and my conductor told me to play as loudly as physically possible without falling off my chair…
Me and my trombone buddies had “ffff” and he sat next to me and played so hard that he fell out of his chair.
The lengths we go for music.
Okay yeah so I play the bass clarinet and the amount of air you have to move and the stiffness of the reed means it only has two settings and that is loud and louder, with an optional LOUDEST that includes a 50% probability of HORRIBLE CROAKING NOISE which is the bass equivalent of the ubiquitous clarinet shriek.
One day, when I was in concert band in high school, we got a new piece handed out for the first time, and there was a strange little commotion back in the tuba section — whispering, and pointing at something in the music, and swatting at each other’s hands all shhh don’t call attention to it. And although they did attract the attention of basically everyone else in the band, they managed to avoid being noticed by the band director, who gave us a few minutes to look over our parts and then said, “All right, let’s run through it up to section A.”
And here we are, cheerfully playing along, sounding reasonably competent — but everyone, when they have the attention to spare, is keeping an eye on the tuba players. They don’t come in for the first eight measures or so, and then when they do come in, what we see is:
[reeeeeeally deep breath]
[COLOSSAL FOGHORN NOISE]
The entire band stops dead, in the cacophonous kind of way that a band stops when it hasn’t actually been cued to stop. The band director doesn’t even say anything, just looks straight back at the tubas and makes a helpless sort of why gesture.
In unison, the tuba players defend themselves: “THERE WERE FOUR F’S.”
FFFF is not really a rational dynamic marking for any instrument, but for the love of all that is holy why would you put it in a tuba part.
This is the best band post
Everyone else go home
Oh man, so I play trombone, and we got this piece called Florentiner Marsch by Julius Fucik, and we saw this
which is 8 fortes. We were shocked until,
that is 24 fortes who the fuck does that
Who does that?
This guy. Take a good look - that is the moustache of a man with nothing to lose.
More like Julius Fuckit
Hey guys so I just became a Mary Kay consultant today and I am so excited i can’t even
I know some of you peeps live outside of the US and I still need to figure out whether or not i can sell to you guys or do skype consultations but i’ll get that sorted
I also don’t have my website yet so that’ll take some time but if you need a consultation or are interested in Mary Kay products, shoot me an ask or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org!
I’ll post more about this once I get the hang of things but I am so excited about this i had to share
Flaphack #7: *Magically transform an old concert lanyard into a soothing pancake scented car freshener!
*not actually magic
DENNY’S WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU EVEN DOING
denny’s has the best social media marketing team ever look at this look at it
they knew their restaurant was the equivalent of 3am nightblogging and they just went with it
this is what a good hitler joke looks like
I love Tumblr.
The red light one kills me every time
I lost my shit at the red light one.
I wasn’t going to reblog this until I got to the red light. I am laughing so hard.
always reblog the red light story
If you have more than 85 followers, you have more followers than the Westboro Baptist Church.
You are more influential than those fuckers.
This is 100% true
This tweet sounds as though introverts consume the souls of others before they engage in social events.
This is 100% true
The Hemsworth brothers, Tom Hanks, and Meryl Streep star in a 1:00 “Charlie Bit My Finger” spoof
is thiS FOR REAL DID THEY ACTUALY TAKE THE TIME TO DO THIS I CAN NOT HANDLE
no, see, that’s a loaded question. you have already come to me using loaded language and if i try and engage to with this you’ll write me off as washing away character’s bad points or endorsing racism
but ill have a shot anyway real simple cos i haven’t done meta for ages and im meh at it anyway
- ash wasn’t experienced with aliens
- her family had a tough history with turians
- like… they had a war with them that her grandfather was directly involved in and his life was basically ruined by and he was broken?
- her family’s career was ruined by the reputation the first contact war gave them
- not turian’s fault but those kind of things dog you
- and maybe they didn’t handle it super well
- she was young and had never served on a ship let alone with other species
- wrex is a mercenary
- garrus is a hot-headed c-sec officer who doesn’t really see the problem with shooting down a ship over the citadel’s most populated area ‘as long as he gets his guy’
- the normandy is the most advanced ship in the fleet
- literally brand new tech
- top secret
- WREX IS A MERCENARY. WHO DOES ANYTHING FOR CREDS.
- like idk stealing parts maybe?
- and tali is literally like drooling over all the shiny tech (and actually steals some? as hinted at in ME3?? or at least copies their design!)
ok. now we’ve got that out of the way.
- i don’t agree with ash
- i think she grows from her views
- she isn’t frothing at the mouth terra firm and actually works well with aliens
- shooting wrex is perfectly understandable IMO because he was gonna shoot shepard and it’s her LITERAL JOB to not get her commander killed by hostile krogan
- like literally
- not doing anything while your CO is shot in the face will get you demoted
- like hella demoted
- like back to floor scrubber.
- shepard says she notes her concerns but she has to work with aliens and they are our allies now
- ash basically says ‘ok boss! tell me to kiss a turian and ill do it’
- end of discussion on that front?
- in ME3 she is a sworn spectre SPECIFICALLY GUARDING THE COUNCIL?
- and will in fact give her life standing up against shepard to save them???
- she actively tells terra firma to shut the fuck up if you take her to see them in ME1
- tali is like a ‘little sister’ to her
- elcor look like an elephant to me? keepers do look like bugs? salarians do kinda look amphibian? she was new on the citadel and has a brash and in your face attitude. maybe i am also racist for seeing similarities in their biological features? IDK?
- literally nearly every alien on the crew is blatantly racist but ash gets the book thrown at her?
- wrex wants to eat salarians
- he literally kills them? for fun?
- javik hates every species
- garrus throws out very casual racism against krogan several times
- tali basically is ok with killing all geth until she semi makes friends with legion
- actually most of her character development is centred around an age old hate of geth
- mordin thinks it’s OK to LITERALLY sterilize krogan ok. LIKE LITERALLY INDUCE STILLBIRTHS.
- dead baby krogan
- cos all korgan are violent animals right??
- no. bad mordin.
to sum up.
- i personally believe she had a prejudice born from inexperience and family history in me1
- she chats to shepard
- shepard says ‘come on ash blah blah’
- ash gets over it
- she works well with the crew
- doesn’t bring the subject up again
- gets character development
- ash dies defending salarians on virmire in my game. she is shot defending aliens.
- in some games she grows to become a spectre defending the council and can give her life for them
- she staunchly refuses to join cerberus who are a human supremacist group. why?? she thinks they’re dumb and stupid and drastic and dangerous and doesn’t hold racist, human supremacist ideals
- her ideas about the council turning their backs to humanity when they are threatenED?
- EARTH IS BURNING WHILE THE COUNCIL MAKES SHEPARD HELP LITERALLY ALL THEIR WORLDS FIRST
- NEARLY ALL OF THEM
- the turian councillor basically says ‘lol no. help me first. and maybe we might maybe sorta help you sometime.’
- the asari hid crucial intel and didn’t share it with anyone until the last minute!
- they ALL looked after their own interests first before they were FORCED to work together by shepard
- i very much like ashley williams for her brashness, confidence, humour, and toughness
- and very pretty too oooooh
- she makes mistakes
- mistakes she learns and grows from
- she has character development like every other character
- she is in my top five fav mass effect characters
- im sorry if you don’t like her
- like literally i don’t care or mind
- i hate a couple of mass effect characters actually (self admittedly irrationally because of my own views)
- i don’t need to justify it and i don’t need anyone else to justify their like of them
- srsly you can hate her if you want just don’t tag your hate for those who like her thx so much
- i like ash because she is flawed and grows
- that’s basically it
kisses. mrsalenko out.
we’re gonna get to go to an orlesian party we’re gonna get to go to an orlesian party we’re gonna get to go to an orlesian party what if it’s a masquerade ball what if we get to dance with our companions
A Republican elected official in Maine actually said this. But what war on women? (via whitegirlpolitickin)
the more I hear men speak the more I want to create a female only island & never have to be anywhere near men ever again. I have no doubt that many men view rape as a “pursuit of sexual freedom”, and I think I can say with complete certainty that the majority of men think that raping women is far more acceptable than women controlling our own bodies & getting abortions.
"If she can control her body, then why can’t I control it too? Equality!"
HEY IMPORTANT THING. I just got this email:
BIG NEWS: President Obama just announced that he is taking major action against sexual assault by creating a presidential task force to fight rape on college campuses.1
Having the President on our side is huge at a moment when sexual assault on college campuses has reached an epidemic level. Right now, 1 in 5 women will be assaulted or raped during college.2
For over a year now, the UltraViolet community—that’s you!—has been taking action together to tackle rape culture and stand up for survivors. Together with our allies, we’ve helped bring the epidemic of sexual assault on college campuses into the spotlight and called on the Administration to address it.
That’s why the White House wants to know what solutions YOU want to see. As an advocate who has spoken out for survivors before, your input is valuable. This is a major opportunity to be heard by the President and White House.
Can you take 3 minutes to fill out a short, easy survey about what you think the Presidential Task Force to Protect Students from Sexual Assault should do? We’ll deliver your response to the White House next week.
Presidential commissions have a mixed record—some have faded into historical footnotes, while others have changed the course of our country’s history. For example, President Reagan’s HIV/AIDS task force led to increased funding for drug trials and an end to federal discrimination against those who are HIV-positive.3
We know that searches for solutions to sexual assault and rape can end up victim-blaming instead of holding attackers accountable. It’s why we’re bombarded by media figures that blame alcohol, twerking, and teenage naivete for rape instead of the rapists.4 And just last year, campus after campus—from Yale to USC—was called out for mishandling rape cases.5
When colleges don’t take rape accusations seriously, it discourages survivors from reporting. Only 12% of survivors report the assault, and it’s more often the survivors rather than their attackers who drop out of school.6
A federal task force will create uniform guidelines that colleges should follow to stop sexual assault and punish rapists. Data and research is helpful, but input from citizens who care and know about the problem is critical to finding the right solutions.
Last year, Ultraviolet members spoke out and demanded the Department of Education start holding campuses accountable for failing to uphold Title IX—the federal law that bans sexual discrimination in education, including sexual assault. From Steubenville, Ohio, and Maryville, Missouri, to Yale University, you’ve spoken out time and again to demand justice for survivors who have been swept aside by school authorities, law enforcement, and their communities. Now the President himself is demanding more be done, and he wants to hear from you.
Thanks for speaking out.
—Nita, Shaunna, Kat, Karin, Malinda, Adam, and Gabriela, the UltraViolet team
This is super big!
Share any stories, even from friends or even if you haven’t actually been assaulted. Like I was actually stalked by and sent very vulgar and graphic messages from a male classmate more than twice my age when I was in college, and the school did nothing to protect me other than tell the man to stop talking to me, and it was the third time he’d done that to female classmates. I literally had to have someone chaperone me to and from my car because I was so scared of this guy.
HOLY SHIT, SOMETHING GOOD HAPPENING IN AMERICA!?
SIGNAL BOOST THE SHIT OUT OF THIS.
Please do this. It’s super quick.
(fixed the link, because it was one that was signed in under someone else’s name)
Important enough that I want reblog on here.